Withdrawal from the University

“Withdrawal from the University” refers to the official process in which the student withdraws from ALL classes and from any current student relationship with the University. The student initiates this process by obtaining a Withdrawal Form in the Registrar’s Office or from the Registrar’s home page.

The student must fill out the form and obtain the required signatures: Dean of Community College Partnerships (for international students or a recipient of veteran’s benefits), School Dean (for graduate students), Bursar, Executive Director of Financial Aid, Dean of Students, and the Registrar.

The student must also return his/her student identification card, and parking sticker to the Office of Student Services when withdrawing from the University.

Further, any withdrawing student who has received a student loan must have an exit interview with a Financial Aid Counselor.

Courses for which the student is registered will appear on the transcript with a notation of “WD.” The official date of WD will appear with courses. The notation of WD does not calculate in the GPA.

Any student who ceases attending classes before the end of the semester, mini-term, or summer term without completing official withdrawal from the University automatically receives the grade “F” for such course(s), so noted on the student’s academic transcript. Withdrawal from the University does not affect the cumulative GPA of the student if processed by the close of “last day to drop without ‘F’,” as announced in the Academic Calendar.

The financial status of the student is affected by withdrawal from the University in the following ways:

  1. Refunds for tuition and fees are credited to the student’s account according to the refund schedule.
  2. Housing and meal fees are credited to the student’s account according to the refund schedule.
  3. Financial Aid will be prorated to the student according to the Federal Return of Title IV Funds Policy. Withdrawal after the refund period means the student will have used an entire semester’s eligibility of aid.
  4. The balance of the student’s account with the Student Accounts Office will be credited or billed to the student as appropriate.
  5. Once the student has completed registration, i.e., turned in the registration form to the Student Accounts Office, the student is liable for all registration fees even though classes have not been attended, unless the student completed an official withdrawal form.
  6. Students who are suspended from LMU or are ineligible to continue in an academic program because of grade deficiencies and who are registered in advance for the subsequent semester, may be required to complete an official withdrawal form.

Medical Withdrawal

The didactic portions of concentration classes provide the theoretical basis for evidence based nursing practices applied in a practice setting. The practice application of academic theory in a practice setting reinforces the theoretical knowledge base needed to make evidence based practice decisions. In order to master the academic theory and the practice competencies that are the learning outcomes in concentration classes, students must take practice and didactic courses simultaneously.

If at any time during the term a student is unable to perform all of the Student Essential Function listed in the LMU/CSON handbook for a period exceeding two weeks, the appropriate course of action is to medically withdraw from the class. As an alternative to withdrawal, within two weeks of becoming unable to perform the essential student functions, a student must provide documentation from a medical provider that the student is able to perform all of the Student Essential Functions listed in the LMU/CSON handbook.