All candidates for baccalaureate and associate degrees must fulfill the requirements indicated throughout the various sections of this catalog. The basic requirements are as follows:
- Completing a minimum of 122 semester credit hours (unless stated otherwise under a given program) for the baccalaureate degree, comprised of courses in the major program, General Education Core Curriculum, and electives and/or minor program.
- Completing a minimum of 66 semester credit hours (specific number depends on the program chosen) for the associate degree.
- Completing the Associate or General Education Core Curriculum requirements appropriate to the degree.
- Completing all course requirements of the declared baccalaureate major or associate degree program.
- Completing the last 16 semester credit hours for the associate degree and the last 32 semester credit hours for the baccalaureate degree at Lincoln Memorial University.
- Twenty-five percent (25%) of any undergraduate degree awarded by Lincoln Memorial University must be earned through instruction at LMU.
- Completing, for the baccalaureate degree, a minimum of 42 semester credit hours of 300/400-level courses. Lower division courses will not equate to 300/400 level (upper division) courses.
- Baccalaureate degree requires completion of the junior and the senior level writing requirements and so noted on the transcript.
- Achieving a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) for all coursework, a 2.0 cumulative GPA for General Education Program courses, and a 2.0 cumulative GPA for all courses earned at Lincoln Memorial University.
- Achieving a minimum 2.0 GPA for coursework within the declared baccalaureate major or associate degree program, unless more stringent requirements are stated in this catalog under the academic department head note or program notes in the sections “Undergraduate Academic Programs” and “Undergraduate Course Descriptions.”
- Obtaining official certification for graduation verified by the assigned academic advisor, chair of the appropriate academic department, and the University Registrar.
- Participating in the commencement ceremony following the completion of all degree requirements.
- Participating in all outcomes assessment testing (e.g., general education assessment, major field assessment, etc.) and activities when requested. Students may be required to complete one or more questionnaires and to take one or more standardized tests to determine general educational achievement as a prerequisite to graduation. Unless required in a particular program, no minimum score or level of achievement is required for graduation or type of degree awarded. Participation may be required of all students, students in certain programs, or those selected on a sample basis. Additional requirements may appear explicitly or implicitly in policy, procedural, and program statements throughout this and other sections of the catalog and on the website.
Sequential Enhancement of Writing Skills (SEWS)
LMU requires that each student demonstrate minimum competency in writing and information literacy each year of his/her degree program. The freshman year requirement is met by satisfactory completion of ENGL 101. The sophomore requirement is met by satisfactory completion of ENGL 102.
Thereafter, selected courses at the 300 and 400 levels in each major program include source-based writing assignments that must be successfully completed in order to satisfy SEWS requirements. The student must pass the writing assignment not the course alone to receive SEWS credit. All SEWS requirements must be completed in order to graduate with a baccalaureate degree.